Friday, July 18, 2014

Current Summer Foundation Routine

I am forever trying out foundations and foundation combinations to battle the hot and humid coastal NC climate.  When I lived in VA I thought that was humidity.  It's at another level just a few hours South!

Here is what I am currently using and have been absolutely loving for the last couple of weeks.  I have them out on my bathroom sink area so they are in easy reach.  (I am currently re-doing my makeup area and painting my vanity/old small kitchen table...more on that project later!)



My current moisturizer is Doctor T's Supergoop! City Sunscreen Serum with SPF 30 PA+++ which I smooth over my face, neck, and décolletage.  The Supergoop! Serum provides adequate moisture without oiliness so when I was in MA and NY without the humidity, I really didn't need the extra primer.  But down here, next up is Rimmel Stay Matte Primer for days I truly need extra shine free protection.  This primer does contain talc which irritates many.  I try not to use it everyday, just in case.  I've even used this without foundation over it and it makes my skin look really nice, smoothing over pores.



Now on to my foundation base.  I use 1.5 to 2 pumps of Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-n-1 in 825 Buff Beige which is slightly too light for me right now and 1 pump of L'OREAL True Match Lumi in W3 Nude Beige which is slightly too dark.  This is a magical combination.  Covergirl Outlast is a medium to full coverage foundation with a semi-matte finish.  L'OREAL Lumi is a light to medium coverage foundation with a natural to luminous finish.  Mixing them is perfection for my combo/oily skin.  It instantly covers, looks flawless, but not over the top for day wear despite the heat and humidity.  I initially buff with a foundation brush and then go over my face with the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge to blend out everything perfectly.  


After foundation, I smooth on a tiny bit of Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Under Eye Primer and let that sink in before I apply concealer.  For concealing I use 2 shades of Maybelline Fit Me.   I use the shade light around my nose, blemishes and initially under my eyes.  I tap with a brush or my fingers and again blend everything with a beauty sponge.  For highlighting, I go in with the shade fair under my eyes, down the nose, a little on the chin and forehead.   Tap it in with my fingers and I then bounce the beauty sponge over that to blend everything in.



For bronzing/contouring, I apply Sonia Kashuk Undetectable Cream Bronzer.  This goes in the hollows on my cheeks which I then blend up into my temples and then perimeter of my forehead and a little blended down the neck as well. I apply using either the Real Techniques Contour brush (great choice as I just looked at the brush to figure out the name!) or the elf Small Stipple Brush.  I then go back in with the beauty sponge.


With a large powder brush, I pick up a decent amount of my NARS Translucent Light Reflecting Powder and press that on to my face concentrating in the t-zone.  I then use Young Blood Hi-DEF Translucent powder under my eyes to set my concealer just so I can use it up.  Sometimes I put a little on my forehead, nose and chin as well with a Real Techniques setting brush.  (And I just realized I have two RT setting brushes. Nice.)

Lastly and most importantly, setting spray!  As of this week, I am hooked on AVON's makeup setting spray.  Love it!  It almost has a tightening effect which I can appreciate and it seals everything in nicely.  Before this discovery I was holding on to my last few sprays of Urban Decay de-Slick which I can honestly say does virtually nothing for my oily skin but takes down the powdery look.  I had also been using the Heritage Store Rose Petals Rosewater which can be just a touch too dewy.  I'm going to put this away until fall/winter.


I'm really liking this combination of products.  The foundation combination provides a great color match which I always struggle with as well as lasting power in the humidity.

What products are you loving for the summer?

Hope you are well!

No comments:

Post a Comment