Thursday, September 6, 2012

August Empties

Still behind but more on time with this post!

Most of these empties were travel sized bits from Birchbox, Glossybox etc. that came in handy for our 2 week vacation at my brother's lakehouse.  I was so efficient in packing, so careful to not overpack, I actually  did not pack enough.  I quickly ran out of everything, shampoo, lotion, razors even after rationing!  I was "forced" to drop by CVS and Walmart for supplies.

Am I being dramatic?  Of course!  But lesson learned, better to over pack slightly then to under pack.

Oh and I am happy well not that happy but the environment will be, that I have cancelled Birchbox and Glossybox and I am about to cancel Julep.  I am keeping BeautyArmy solely for the reason that I can skip a month if I feel the need.

I have way too many sample sized products in my house.  It didn't happen overnight of course, just way too many subscription sample services.  I love trying new things but I've found that I want to try ultra expensive and lux products like La Mer and Kate Somerville, and Dior..... I won't buy those products because they are too expensive but $10 a month adds up yearly and multiplying it by 3...  Madness!

But I was also thinking about the impact that these tiny sized plastic containers have on the environment.  It's enormous.  Have you ever heard of the Great Pacific Ocean Garbage Patch?  Google it.  There is also one in the Atlantic ocean.  It's scary and sickening.

Yes I recycle, I try to do my part but for instance...  Where we were at the lakehouse in Southern VA, recycling really hasn't taken off.  Yes you can drive 45 minutes to a recycling center at the local Walmart, but how many vacation goers or locals take the time?  I feel that this is true in many parts of the country.  We are busy, I'm not passing judgment either.

I took my recyclables home to show you of course so this wasn't an issue for me.  I really don't want to get all environmental on y'all, but it's something to think about while I show you all the new plastic I am introducing to the environment.  Ugh, I feel sick about it now.  :(


  1.  John Frieda Root Awakening Shampoo:  I think this is the last of my stockpile.  Lovely shampoo, nice scent, does the job.  I'm sure I will repurchase someday.

  2.  John Frieda Full Repair Conditioner:  I like other repairing conditoners much better but this works well. I don't see myself repurchasing in the near future however.

  3.  Satin Care Dry Skin Shave Gel:  I think I picked this up because one, my husband likes it and two, it's cheap.  I think at the commissary it's $1.49, add a coupon, even cheaper.  I will repurchase.

  4.  Aveeno positively nourishing hydrating body wash:  I believe this came in a Birchbox a really long time ago.  I've been saving it for an extended vacation.  It's okay.  It has a very strong scent, kind of like Bath and Body Works Country Chic.  Flowers and sticky sweetness.  It has some nice fruit oils in it.  However, I don't see myself repurchasing.

  5.  L'OREAL Sublime Sun Advanced Sunscreen 50+:  Dang this stuff is expensive.  1.7 fl.oz for like $12 or $15.  I had a coupon for like $2 off 2 but there was no way I was going to buy 2.  At first I really liked it.  You need to shake up the product before dispensing a thin, very runny white liquid.  It definitely smells like sunscreen but it has a lighter texture.  It has a nice slip to it when/if you apply makeup over it.  I did notice that when you reapply it, say for instance at the pool/beach, it really stings the face.  It actually brought my daughter to tears.  I thought I got it in her eye she was so hysterical.  It was burning her face.  I felt the burn on my face, it was significant, but I felt it before in the past with other products.  I won't repurchase this one.

  6.  AHAVA Mneral Botanic Velvet Cream Wash:  I'm not sure if I ever tried anything from AHAVA before.  Anything with Dead Sea Minerals I really like, this was no exception.  The scent was Hibiscus and Fig which smells really nice and leaves the skin soft.  I don't see myself purchasing this however, I didn't look up the price but I'm sure it's out of my range.  I've got kids to feed and college tuitions to save up for!

  7.  Rite Aid Makeup Remover Wipes:  Speaking of kids to feed and college tuitions to save up for, this however, was not an example of a money saving alternative.  I did not like these at all.  I still have another pack which I use as hand wipes.  I do not recommend them for the face.  The cloth is not soft, nor does it have enough moisture.  I also feel that it doesn't do a great job at removing makeup.  I wouldn't even go near your eyes with these either.  Splurge on the Noxema.  :)

  8.  Yves Rocher Agave Moisturizing Body Lotion:  Smells nice but I'm not into slaving parabens all over my body which I did to use up this product.  Smells nice, didn't crazy hydrate but did the job.  Won't repurchase.  I think that this was a free gift with my order anyway.

  9.  First Aid Beauty Cream Smooth Shave Cream:  Now this stuff is worth the splurge.  I frequently get razor burn so I can only shave my legs every 3 days or so.  However when you are on vacation and are in a bathing suit all day, you need to shave every day.  This worked wonders for me.  I will look into repurchasing.

10.  Professional Sebastian Color Ignite Color Protection Shampoo:  I really like this shampoo.  I actually have another one.  I won an August Glossybox but they repeated the July Glossybox so I got 2 of everything.  Super disappointed since the August Glossybox was amazing.  I'm just going to stop watching those Glossybox YouTubes and blogposts.  No need to see what I am missing.  Anywho...  I'm glad I have another one of these.

11.  Professional Sebastian Color Ignite Color Protection Conditioner:  This product is so cool!  You shake it up like a can of mouse and it come out in this thick foam.  Be sure to squeeze out excess water in your hair before applying this.  But it moisturizes well without weighing down your hair.  I really like it.  I'm glad I have another.  I think I might be purchasing this for my everyday conditioner.

12.  NIVEA Extended Moisture Daily Lotion:  This stuff is amazing.  Smells good and does the job!  My skin was severely parched at the lakehouse and this did a great job.  I need to get a full size like now.

13.  NIVEA Touch of Serenity Moisturizing Body Wash:  It was nice but the orange blossom scent is my absolute favorite.

14.  Wella Professionals Enrich Moisturizing Treatment for fine to normal Hair:  This works amazingly well.  I used it up after my home coloring experience.  Leaves the hair soft.  I would like to pick up a full size of this someday.  Smells really good too and the scent lingers throughout the day.

15.  Rembrandt Whitening Toothpaste with Fluoride:  Great stuff and it tastes a whole lot better then just plain ole baking soda and peroxide mix.  But since the plan ole mix is cheaper and very effective, I might just stick with it.  Unless I hit up a sale of course...

16.  Kiehl's Eye Alert:  I need another one of these STAT!  The only thing I didn't like about it is if you use too much, undereye concealer will slide all around.  But it did a great job de-puffing and I've noticed some darker area under my eyes since I haven't been using it.  Coincidence?  Not sure.  I want to get another one though.  :)

17.  Kiehl's Creamy Eye Treatment:  This works wonder at hydration under the eyes.  I found that when I loaded this up at night,  I was definitely less puffy in the morning and very refreshed looking.  More so than when I used sparingly.  It didn't do anything like erasing fine lines or anything but I could definitely tell a difference when I skipped a night and used something else.  It went fast towards the end.  I feel like Kiehl's Eye Alert in the morning and the Creamy Eye Treatment at night were a winning combination for me.

18.  Pantene Flat to Volume Conditioner:  I used this to shave my legs.  Works really well actually.  I did use it on my severely parched blonde hair once and didn't notice a difference.  It's also for fine hair, I don't have fine hair.  It works well for shaving though and it smells nice.

19.  Aveeno Smart Essentials daily detoxifying scrub:  I've used other scrubs that I like much better.  There wasn't anything particularly wrong with it, smells nice, works okay at smoothing the skin.  I much prefer my Shea Terra Rose Hips Black Soap for exfoliation.

20.  Yves Rocher Soothing Anti-Puffiness Eye Gel:  I've had this for a while and when I ran out my Kiehl's combo, I picked this back up to use up.  However, last night I was looking at it and say that it had expired 03/2012.  No good.  Time to let it go.  I remembered really liking it before I got the Kiehl's for Christmas.  Going to stick to Kiehl's.

21.  Jason Vitamin E oil:  Another expired product.  Need to repurchase.  It's a but thick and sticky.  It was my first Vitamin E purchase so I might so a little research and see if there are other Vit E oils that are thinner and less sticky however....  But I use it on scars, around the eye when I do masks, it's really hydrating and a healer.

22.  ANEW Platinum Day Cream:  This is very moisturizing so a little goes a long way for my oily skin.  it's intended target audience is women with dry skin and deep set wrinkles.  Not me but I used it sparingly and I liked the results.  It also has a strong scent that I didn't really mind but didn't really like.  I don't care for heavily scented products unless made with natural oils.  This isn't something I will repurchase but will use if it is a free gift with purchase like this was.

23.  Phyto Dry Hair Mask:  This smelled eerily of Soft Scrub Bath and Tile Cleaner.  Weird I know, but I just couldn't get it out of my head that it smelled like a lemon bathroom cleaner!  Yes it worked, but I've gotten better results with Aussie 3 minute miracle.  I thought about purchasing it and if there is a good sale, I might pick it up just to have on hand as it is probably better for my hair than Aussie.

24-26.  Crabtree & Evelyn La Source Seaweed Shampoo, Conditioner and Body Wash:  This is my all time favorite scent and shampoo and conditioner ever.  I first tried it at a hotel we stayed at in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia.  Fell in love!  Price?  Not so much.  I think the shampoo is something like $25. I will have to look it up.  Actually $18.  Not bad.  I picked up the travel set on clearance at Ulta a while back for like $5.  Couldn't pass it up.  I've been using it during all our trips this summer.  I will eventually repurchase.  It a nice set for have for a spa night at home. It is such a light, calming sent.  Everyone will ask me what perfume I am wearing when I use everything together.  Win!

27-28.  L'OREAL Professionals Mega Browns BR7 Chocolate Level 4 red-violet base:  This is what I used to cover all my damaged bleached out blonde NC sun hair!  Covered beautifully I might add.  Much darker than I expected but for my color the red-violet base works perfectly.  Before when I dyed my hair dark, I also got something too orangy brown or golden brown.  This color looks wonderful!  I will always go back to this.  It is quite mess though.  I had super long hair at the time, that probably contributed to the problem but I had hair dye dripping everywhere and I am pretty careful neat freak.  I should probably do a separate review on this.  I just might.  I took a ton of pictures.  My bad hair cut at Ulta pretty much ruined the experience for me but all is sort of better now, expect for the weird layered hair I am trying to grow out.

So there are my August plastic to be recycled!

I don't foresee a ton of stuff for September since I started new with everything coming back from vacation but I will continue to use up half bottle of this and that...  You all know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment