Tuesday, March 12, 2013

1st of the year empties!!!

I have a brown paper shopping bag of empties so I figure it's time for a review!  And tomorrow is garbage/recycling day.  What better motivation than to clear a little clutter out of the house!

I still have to finish a 2012 wrap up but I can say that I've been super frugal so far this year.  No more stockpiling, I'm using up samples instead of saving them (for what, I have no idea), not buying any makeup, well not much anyway!  I'm working on only mascara samples.  Umm, 3 to be exact.  Don't judge.  And I have 2 more ready to go.  I only have one shampoo and one conditioner in the shower right now.  I'm sure the hubby is really happy about the decrease in shower clutter!

So here they are!

 

1.  Pantene Beautiful Lengths Breakage Defense Shampoo:  Good stuff.  Not sure if my hair is less prone to breakage using this product but it smells nice and leaves my hair soft and shiny.  I'm not planing on repurchasing any time soon but if I saw it on-sale, I would grab it.

2.  L'OREAL Preference Mega Browns BR7 Chocolate:  My go to color.  I will absolutely repurchase over and over and over again... 

3.  Rimmel Gentle Eye Make Up Remover:  I am on my 3rd bottle of this.  It doesn't last long but it works really well.  It's very effective at removing all eye makeup.  I haven't used waterproof mascara in a while so I haven't tested it out on that but everything else melts away with no streaking.  Love it!

4.  N.4 High Performance Hair Care Lumiere d'hiver Clarifying Shampoo:  I'm not sure about this one.  It takes some work to emulsify the product into a usable consistency to lather t through the hair.  It is super thick and concentrated.  This was a Birchbox or Glossybox sample.  It strips color out so I can vouch for the clarifying aspect of it.  Oh and it smells nice.  I won't buy a full size though.

5 & 6.  Advance Techniques Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner:  This is pretty good stuff.  I would pick this up again during an AVON sale.  I like the smell and the way it leaves my hair soft and clean.  I bought this in a set with a bottle of Moroccan hair oil which I use every day on my straight from the shower.   I have liked that as well too.  All 3 were $9.99.  Super affordable!

7 &8.  Gilette Satin Care:  Another two down the drain.  Literally.  Oh and the price went up at the Commissary... Total bummer but still the least expensive.  I picked up a 3 pack at Target on clearance of the Gilette Satin Care for dry skin and it's not working out so good.  Razor burn city.  I will have to shell out the extra pennies for sensitive skin.  lol

9.  New Garnier Oila Oil Powered Permanent Color in 4.15 Dark Soft Mahogany:  I really liked this color.  The color was much darker than the picture on the box which is true for most boxed hair dyes but it left a nice red highlight.  I will still go back to my Mega Browns because I like the color a touch better and it's more cost effective.  The conditioner that was provided was a bit disappointing. It did give my hair adequate moisture for my hair.  But I can say that it has 100% gray coverage!!!  If I ever need hair color and Mega Browns is not in stock, I can trust this one to have good results for sure.  This was a BzzAgent sample.  They sent me a coupon in my BzzAgent kit and I was able to buy the hair color for free!  Yay!



10.  Dead Sea Collection Salt Scrub in Eucalyptus:  I love these salt scrubs.  For $4 at Big Lots you can't go wrong.  They are no emulsifying/sudsy and leave the skin a bit oily but I like that my body feels very moisturized after using these.  I'm going back for more of course!

11.  Dove Men Extra Fresh Soap:  I really like the smell of this.  Not too manly but fresh.  And it's a Dove product so it's not drying.  This will be a good bar for the summer months.  Need to repurchase.  :)

12 & 13.  Proclaim with Argan Oil Intense Hydrating Masque:  I just realized that this was a "masque" but I used it almost after every shampoo.  I guess it's not so intense that it weighs the hair down after every day use.  I liked the smell.  I used the shampoo along with it which I also used up.  I am actually re-purposing the shampoo bottle as it has a pump.  I put the next 2 products into it!  I would possibly repurchase during a sale again.  I believe I got the 2 of them for $7 at Sally's.  I want to find a Macadamia oil set at Sally's next.

14 & 15.  John Frieda full Repair Full Body Shampoo:  Technically, the shampoo contained in these bottles are not used up, I filled the Proclaim shampoo bottle with them, but these bottles are going out with the recycling tomorrow so I thought I would mention them.  My friend moved to Hawaii recently and gifted me these!  I forgot how wonderful this shampoo was.  My hair feels luxurious after using this shampoo again.  Great stuff.  Good lather, nice smell, moisturizing.  I will probably repurchase at some point in the future.

16.  Dead Sea Magnesium Salts, Lemon Verbena:  Another $4 steal at Big Lots.  I love a good salt bath.  They are very soothing and awesome for sore muscles and various other aches and pains.  This has a nice smell to it.  I will repurchase this or another flavor on my next shopping excursion to Big Lots!

17.  Nexxus Headress Thickening Leave-in Volumizer:  This was another gift from my Hawaii-bound friend.  Leave in conditioners are something I never purchase and when I do, I forget that they are a leave-in and rinse them out!  I don't need a thickening agent for my hair but this was a nice product to try.  I don't need to repurchase this.

18.  MD Skincare 4-in-1 Treatment:  These single use cleansing and toning clothes are the bomb!  I only bought 2 that were on clearance sometime last year and rationed them as long as I could.  I wish now that I had the foresight to have bought all 4 boxes that were on clearance but I thought at the time that would be crazy to clear the shelves of something that I hadn't tried yet.  lol  Hind sight is 20/20.  :)  I got them for $7 and they were regularly priced at $35 I think.  It was a steal.  I don't think I would pay $35 for them though.

19.  Christian Lacroix Rouge Shower Gel:  I had this in my AVON product stash for years.  Literally.  It had to have been expired.  But I used it anyway.  It's a mature scent to say the least, nice but not something I will repurchase.  It has been since discontinued probably for a couple of years.  I do have the perfume which I use sparingly during the winter months.

20.  Freeman Detoxifying Facial Mask:  I received this in a box that was from Influenster but I don't believe it was attached to a VoxBox promotion.  The box had several products in it, but usually VoxBoxes have a card with them detailing the products contained within.  This one did not and when I logged into my Influenster account, I didn't have notification that anything was sent.  That being said, I am totally appreciative of the gift!  :)  I really liked this mask.  Smelled just like chocolate and it was difficult not to try it.  Seriously.  I didn't by the way...  Truth.  :)  I will pick this up someday for sure.



21.  Organix Brazilian keratin therapy:  This lasted forever.  Good stuff too.  Sulfate and Sodium free and smells of coconut.  Leaves the hair soft, shiny and manageable.  I will repurchase during a sale for sure.  I have a few more products that I am working through so it's not a need at this point but works really well for a super straight look.

22.  Nelson Beverly Hills Argan Oil 7-in-1 non-foaming shampoo: I'm quite okay with low-poo and no-poo (so weird to call them that) shampoos but this one was strange.  There were these blue/green beads in a runny white "lotion" presumably to provide an abrasive agent to scrub off the dirt and oil?  Well though I thought I thoroughly rinsed the product, several beads could be felt on my scalp throughout the day.  Nice lemony-mint smell but I would need to try this again to really form an opinion.  The sample was only enough for one use on my long hair.  This was a Beauty Army sample I believe.

23.  Skindinavia Makeup Finishing Spray, The original:  I love using finishing sprays to help do away with the powdery look.  However, for someone with oily skin, that powdery look helps to hold the oils longer.  So when you take them away with a spray, your oils break through faster.  So using one with oily skin kind of defeats the purpose, in my experience...  I find that I like the Urban Decay de-Slick just a touch better, even though they are both made by Skindinavia.  de-Slick really doesn't prevent me from getting oily either but it takes away the powder look and just might keep me from getting shiny prematurely...  :) 

24.  alessandro international Hand!Spa Age Complex Cream Rich Pearl Protein Extract & Hyaluronic Acid:  This is a really nice hand cream.  And priced on the Birchbox website (link!) at $30, it really should be.  I've had some pretty chapped hands this month and I am sorry to see this one go.  I can't spend $30 on a hand cream at this time... but I wish I could. 

25.  Garnier BB cream:  Now that I have purchased the combination to oily skin one, I can pitch this one.  The smell is really over-powering to me after not using it for a few months.  I did like it.  It is a good product if you have the right skin.  Dry to normal.  It only worked for a couple of hours on me.  On a hot and humid day, forget it.  I am liking the new one and have been using it for a couple of months now.  See my review here!

26.  Indie Lee The Cleanser:  Oh oh oh I love love love this stuff!!!  Great cleanser.  I picked this up along with the Squalane oil on a Hautelook sale.  I haven't seen her products on Hautelook since.  I need to repurchase soon though.  It's a gentle, natural, citrusy cleanser that leaves the skin clean and prefectly prepped for your skincare.   I do have some other cleansers to get through so as soon as I'm finished with the squalane oil, I will get them together again.  Indie Lee is just one of those feel good brands that you can trust.  Indie Lee herself has a ton of integrity, she has been through so much in her life, such an inspiration.

27.  Yves Rocher ADN Cellular Renaissance:   Huge claims for this product and at $52, it's pricey.  I got it for free for an order I think last summer or was it the summer before.  I think the summer before.  Yikes!  I liked it but I didn't think it was HG.  It has a botanical, fresh scent.  It's pretty thick and heavy.  I used it mostly on my neck and chest.  I really liked that it was square and opens like a compact.  Pretty cool design.  You don't have to worry about it tipping over on your counter.  I will get this again on a sale but I don't feel that it is something I can't live without.  I like Yves Rocher products.  I haven't ordered from them in a while but I don't believe I ever received a product that I didn't like. 

28.  Amir Argan Oil Moisturizer:  This was one of 3 Amir sample moisturizer from the Hautelook Beauty Bag that I never reviewed.  I need to do that.  I'm not sure if I will ever order the Beauty Bag again but it did have a few decent samples and one full size cleanser.  The lotion had a pleasant scent.  I finished this a while ago.  It was nice.  Not something I would repurchase unless I saw it at Marshall's.  It's currently $24 for 18 oz on Amazon.

29.  Nivea Touch of Smoothness Moisturizing Body Wash:  Smells nice, I really like the orange blossom one though.  That's my fave!  Love Nivea and all of their products.  I would repurchase this.

30.  AVON Foot Works Lavender Comfort Soak:  I've gone through a few of these throughout the years.  They are nice to have on hand for a spa night.  I don't currently have any on hand.  Looks like I need to repurchase...

31.  Kiehl's Powerful-Strength Line-Reducing Concentrate:  Kiehl's is another one of those brands that can do no wrong in my eyes.  There are so many products that I have tried and want to try.  I squeezed this sample packet into a plastic jar with a lid and was able to use it for an entire week!  This stuff is pretty good.  It's very thick and moisturizing, which I like to use a heavy moisturizer at night.  I didn't see any noticeable results in a week's usage but I would definitely buy a full size just to see.  :)

32.  Babor Anti-Stress Anti-Jetlag Cream:  This has been my go to night cream for the last 3 months or so.  A very nice cream with a full size $72 price tag.  Ouch.  Why?!  This was a Beauty Army sample.  Good stuff.  Not too heavy, not light either so it was definitely a night cream for me but when I did have some drier skin issues for a day or 2, this took care of it.  Loved the smell too.  I'm tempted to order the Babor Anti-Stress Relaxation Kit on Amazon for $35.  Hmmm....

Now I can bring my bag to the curb!  :)

Makeout 2013 post is coming up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment