Monday, January 4, 2010

The latest drugstore haul


So I guess you could say I am health conscious.  I'm not fanatical, but I try my best to eat healthy and cook food from scratch for my family.  When we have soup, it's not from a can, etc.  Also, you'll never find boxed cookies or procsessed food in my pantry.  Cooking is therapeutic for me and the knowledge that I am   providing preservative and corn syrup free food to my family is really important to me.  I have been trying to be as organic as possible as well.  Recently I watched an infomercial on Wen Hair Care System by Chaz Dean.  http://www.wenhaircare.com/  I really wanted to shell out the $29.95, really I did.  But it was right before Christmas and I couldn't spend the money on myself.  Christmas is about giving right?  But the infomercial was talking about Wen being sulfate free, all natural.  Apparently, I learned from a conversation with a friend that sulfates can cause scalp irritation and actually thin out your hair.  I haven't done any research on those two facts yet but I did read an article on wikipedia.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_Lauryl_Sulfate

I'm not a chemist but the article does mention sulfates are added to shampoos and bubble baths for extra bubbles or a nice lather.  It also mentions that they break down or denature proteins which I guess could in fact thin out individual hair strands.  So when I pulled into Walgreens for vitamins (BOGO free) and saw Organix shampoo on sale I thought of it as an excellent opportunity to make the switch to sulfate free.  I bought shampoo and conditioner for the revitalizing pomegranate green tea, smoothing shea butter and nourishing coconut butter.  The deal was 2 for 1, or 2 for $6.99.  They are 13 fl.oz. bottles.  So kind of pricey even with the sale but the results are worth it.  My hair is shinier than ever and the texture feels great.  A little more about my hair...  I have a lot of hair, it's thick but the strands are not coarse, it's about shoulder length right now.  It is also color treated though I am letting the latest color choice grow/fade out.  After washing, I add a pump of Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine before blowing it out straight, well my hair is straight but I blow dry it with a round brush and then before flat ironing if I want it super straight I use Aveda Smooth Infusion Glossing Straightener.  I have been using those 2 products even before switching to Organix shampoo.  Another benefit to Organix is that my hair isn't greasy the next day so I can actually go two days without washing which is actually healthier for my hair as well.  Very happy right now with Organix!   Wen will have to wait...


No comments:

Post a Comment