Monday, June 25, 2012

The Aspirin Mask

I've had this bottle of aspirin sitting on a shelf in the medicine cabinet for ages.  I bought it to use as a cleanser for my face after I read or watched a youtube video on it.  I believe it was Michelle Phan but when I watched the vid last night, it wasn't familiar at all.  But after researching for a bit, Dr. Oz had mentioned a recipe on his show as well.  I also found that here are many variations to the aspirin mask or aspirin facial.  I sort of combined a couple of versions and with luck, it worked out amazingly well!

The premise behind the use of an aspirin is quite simple, it is an acid...  Does salicylic acid ring a bell?  Or maybe Beta Hydroxy acid?  Yep, it's both, salicylic and BHA are one in the same!  BHA is excellent at killing bacteria and deep cleaning our pores as well as exfoliation.

In an effort to reduce reliance on drugstore products and eliminating unnecessary chemicals, this recipe is a winner.  And it works well too.  My skin feels... almost... as soft as my HG Shea Terra Rose Hips Black Soap.  I won't ever give that up but this comes in a close second, maybe a 1.5...

I usually take 10 aspirins (could cut that to 5-7 but I found that I like a thicker paste) and put approximately a half tablespoon of lemon juice on them.  I eyeball it.  Dr. Oz says fresh lemon juice is best because fresh juice still has the enzymes in it.  Let that sit for a couple of minutes while it breaks down the tablets.  Now Michelle Phan in her video dissolved it in water.  Starting off, water is probably best and also for those with sensitive skin.  (I have tough skin!)





After swirling the BHA and lemon juice mix, add about 2 teaspoons of honey.  Again this is an approximation. Raw, unpasteurized is best, again it will have key enzymes that pasteurization kills.   Stir the mix until combined.  Honey adds antiseptic properties, moisture so the skin, stimulates blood circulation, balances out oily skin and may have a hand in collagen production.  So honey is good for the skin!





So for people like me that need a recipe so they can focus at this point:


10-12 uncoated aspirins (the bottle of white pills!)
1/2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp of raw, unpasteurized honey

1.  Dissolve aspirin in lemon juice (2 minutes).
2.  Stir in honey to combine.

Now the fun part!  Apply with a cotton ball or cotton pad.  Take the time to lightly swirl the the ball or pad on your face.  The aspirin will be a bit gritty so this helps to exfoliate.  You can also use your fingers of course.

So not manually exfoliate for too long and do so lightly.  The acid will do the hard work for you.  :)  Make sure your entire face is covered but please watch the eye area!  Keep that area acid free or your eyes will surely be hurting.

Relax for 15 minutes.  I didn't feel any tingling, in fact I felt nothing but if you feel burning or tingling, work up to the 15 minutes.  Especially if your skin is sensitive.  Play it safe!  After the 15 minutes, wipe/rinse off with a soft cloth with warm water and you will be left with tightened pores and soft skin.

I would say 1-2 times a week would suffice for this mask.

Let me know if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment