Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Change in direction...

Or maybe a slight diversion.  I've beeen really into couponing lately as I am on break from school.  My sister has equally become a coupon enthusiast and has encouraged me to post some of my shopping adventures.  I'm still going to be doing reviews of course but hopefully you will enjoy reading about couponing!  I'm not that crazy, yet...  But he was my shopping adventure for today.

I shopped at Rite Aid to cash in on the Buy 1, Get 1 Free Special K.  I had 2 BOGO coupons for Special K.  So I bought 4 boxes for 60 cents and got back $4 in up rewards.  Don't know what up rewards are?  Rite Aid gives these rewards for certain purchases that you make.  Always check out the flyer before you go!  Rite Aid also has a wellness program, their version of a rewards program.  You sign up for and receive a card that the cashier will scan everytime you make a purchase.  They also have "video values" where you can watch 30 second commercials and receive coupons and credits.  20 credits and you will receive a $4 of $20 purchase.

So I am not a couponing expert.  There are so many out there.  Check out http://www.hip2save.com/  Colin posts deals step by step on the hour that you can follow.   She has other tips to help you get organized along with the coupon policies for all the drug stores, grocery stores and target.  I'm in the process of organizing a coupon binder from the Krazy Coupon Lady's website:  http://thekrazycouponlady.com/  Give yourself a couple hours to read through these 2 blogs and you'll be up to speed in no time.

So today for example, I shopped Rite Aid.  I bought the following items:

2 Special K Berries  BOGO coupon
2 Special K Original BOGO coupon
2 Aveeno Shampoo  2 $1.50/1 coupons
2 Aveeno Conditioner 2 $1.50/1 coupons

1 Aveeno baby lotion 1 $1.00/1
2 Pledge furniture polish 1 $1.50/2
2 Pledge Multi-surface Lost my 2 75 cents/1 coupons!
4 boxes Stayfree BOGO and 2 $1/1
1 Blink Tears $2/1
4 Purex 3-in-1 laundry sheets 2 $1/1

I split this purchase into 4 transactions...  You have to have patience and shop when there isn't a line behind you.  The reason for the split is that you want to pay as less money out of pocket (OOP) as you can.  You have to go into the prepared.  I have my list and my coupons.  With each transaction I received up rewards so applied these to the next transaction.

So for everything I paid $23 for all of the above items.  I have to send away for a $7.99 SCR and I got back $4 in up rewards for my next purchase.  So in total I bought all of the above items for $11.  Not bad if I do say so myself.   Well I could have done even better.  I bought a random nail polish for $1.99.  The color caught my eye and I forgot $1.50 in coupons.  So I could have bought everything for $7.50.  Oh well, I'm going to paint my nails now...


2 comments:

  1. Wow- your display looks so professional! Wonderful work. I love the double BOGO for cereal. I will blow through a box of cereal in one week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you have at least 3 Aveeno products on one receipt? If so, print out the form for a free 10.99 bottle of Aveeno lotion, fill it out, copy down the UPCs, and send it in with the receipt. They will send you a coupon for an Aveeno lotion.

    You did a much better job than me this week :) I spent more money and went home with less products. That's okay though- I don't need quite that much cereal or hair products. There are only 2 of us in my house :)

    ReplyDelete