Monday, April 11, 2011

Getting your veggies...

with Butternut Squash Soup!  Well technically it is a fruit because it has seeds, but...

Well it's officially grilling season here in the Southern Tier!  We fired up the grill and did some kebobs.  I had some leftover squash so I decided to make some soup.

I just kind of winged this recipe since I've made it millions of times.   So tonight I grabbed on of those pre-cut, pre-packaged tubs of butternut squash.  It is probably a couple of pounds maybe.  I also chopped up a vidalia onion, I love the sweeter onions.  I sauteed the onion with some olive oil and 2 pats of butter.  I let the onion sweat it out and turn translucent.  I added a couple shakes of nutmeg, garlic powder, onion salt and a few turns of pepper.  I also through in 4 boullion cubes.  Normally I would use chicken stock but I'm trying to use up my pantry in anticipation of a move.  Boullion cubes hve a lot of sodium, not sure how much in comparison to store bought stock however.  Instead of chicken stock you can use apple cider and you can certainly skip the butter as well.



To the onion and boullion cubes I added the package of pre-cut squash.  I let these items sautee for 5 minutes.  Then I added 5 cups of water.  I brought it up to a boil and then turned the heat down to let it simmer for 20 minutes.



After 20 minutes of simmering, I let it sit for 30 minutes to cool off a bit before I put it in the blender.  Now if you have an immersion blender, no need to wait that long.  After blending, serve!  You can finish it off with a little more butter and some cream, milk, or crème fraîche or just nothing.  It's really your preference.  If I had some cream, I probably would have splashed some in there.  And there you have it! 

Butternut squash soup!





Now butternut squash, something like a cup's worth will provide your body with 150% of the daily recommended amount of Vitamin A in the form of beta-carotene. We are talking some seriously, powerful anti-oxidants.  You can read up about Vitamin A here.  Among it's functions are skin and cellular health and immune function.  And it's a power food!

No comments:

Post a Comment