Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Mally Everycolor Poreless Face Defender vs. Covergirl truMagic Skin Perfector Mattifier

CoverGirl has certainly gotten my attention lately with all the new product launches after the success of their Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation... It is a great foundation and I highly recommend it those that that fall in the combo/oily skin category.  It provides medium to full coverage but it is light weight enough so that it can be sheered out using a damp makeup sponge.  Bravo CoverGirl!

My skin, especially down here in the hot & humid South, falls in the oily skin range and it is a constant battle keeping my face together.  There is nothing worse than walking out with picture perfect makeup than looking into a mirror 5 minutes after stepping outside and seeing your face just melt off.  Yuck!  Powdering is futile as it just cakes up, blotting is the ideal method, until you blott off all of your makeup...

Enter Mally Poreless Face Defender into my life.  It's not the perfect solution but it lasts longer than blotting and powdering.  It can be used a couple different ways, under foundation, over foundation instead of powder, occasional touchups and any combination of the 3.  I use it mostly for touch ups.  Blotting first to rid my skin of excess oil, I then dab it on my skin, mostly in the t-zone.  Boom!  Insta-matte.  It works that fast. But for me, it works almost too well.  Super-matte is not a good look for my taste and this product will accentuate flakey skin.  That being said, some days I loved it, some days I hated it.  But rest assured, my oiliness prevails, so the super-matte skin never lasts for long...

Mally Poreless Face Defender costs between $30-$40, Covergirl truMagic Skin Perfector Mattifier $6.99-$10.99.  It's hard not to compare the two but they are different products.  No dupe here, but they do basically the same thing, mattify the skin.  Let's take a closer look shall we?

 CoverGirl truMagic Skin Perfector Mattifier, $6.99-$10.99 for .27 oz of product.


Mally Evercolor Poreless Face Defender, ~$40 for .46 oz of product.


Packaging is approximately the same size and same shape.  Both come with sponges, completely different sponges.  The Mally triangle sponge is super bulky, buffed edge Japanese, the CoverGirl round thinner sponge can fit into the compact if you don't mind it touching the compact.

 
 
 

 
Now the formula.  The CoverGirl is a perfecting "balm" it is a softer gel-like texture, Mally's is more solid and clear.

CoverGirl truMagic Skin Perfector Mattifier ingredients: Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Myristyl Trisiloxane, Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Caprylyl Methicone, Synthetic Wax, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Microcrystalline Wax/Cire Microcristalline, Dimethicone, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Laureth-4.

Mally Evercolor Poreless Face Defender ingredients: Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, PCA Dimethicone, Silica

Hmm, no parabens listed in the Mally...  :)  And I tend to feel more comfortable with a shorter ingredient list.


As you can see, Mally has been with me for a while.  Tried and tested over several months.  It works really well for me and sometimes just a little too well.  Unfortunately, since the humidity is nil currently and my skin has been quite normal, I am unable to fully compare the two in terms of which keeps my skin matte for longer.  Both do a good job at blurring imperfections, hiding pores, and instantly mattifying the skin.

In terms of the feel of the product on the skin, Mally is virtually undetectable and has a super matte finish.  CoverGirl can be felt on the skin, less than super matte, which can be a good thing.  So far I think CoverGirl is better suited for under foundation as a primer rather than a touch up. 

But I will update as soon as we have a warmer day as to which holds up better on my skin!

CoverGirl also comes in 2 other shades, a golden Shimmer Luminizer and Bronzer Sunkisser.

Have you tried either the Mally or the CoverGirl?  What do you think?  Dupes?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment