Friday, December 13, 2013

Gems at Big Lots

I was just minding my business last night, walking into Big Lots for the usual suspects, ie cotton rounds, nose pore strips, makeup remover wipes, travel sized tissue packs for the kids' backpacks when I see familiar looking glass pots on the shelf.

Double take...  Maybelline Color Tattoos?  I had no idea what collection this was so immediately I grab my phone and ascertain that this was the duochrome collection I passed up on this year.  Spring 2013 One, because of Makeout 2013 and secondly, I didn't need anymore more Color Tattoos at $6 a pop.  But for $1 a piece at Big Lots, it was difficult not to put them in my shopping basket.




I really like these cotton rounds.  I use them for nail polish removal and eye makeup remover and they hold up and are relatively lint free.  The first time I tried them, I didn't have any lint issues whatsoever, but different toners with different concentrations of acids etc cause them to breakdown more or less depending on the product in which you are using.  Overall at $1.20 for 100, I'm very happy with them.



The last time I bought Biore nose strips, in fact the last 2 times, they did not work at all.  A lot of pain on the take off and white "glue" left on my nose.  So I was done with all nose strips until I saw the Epielle brand for a $1 at Big Lots.  I'm hooked.  They are not perfect, but they clear out gunk in your pores.  I just remember back in the day being in awe of all the disgusting crap Biore was able to extract from my pores.  Epielle isn't a miracle, but at least you can see results upon peeling the strip off your nose, unlike Biore recently.


And of course, here are the Maybelline tattoos!  I believe that there are 2 more in this collection but in my haste, I just grabbed the 6. 

 
I have a pretty large collection of Color Tattoos.  I have about 20 of them.  Now, I never pay full price for anything if I can help it.  But I'm sure a couple of them, I did.  Maybelline coupons are hard to come by so the only alternative is to buy at Walmart for $5.84 (I don't know where that number came from, rough estimate), $1 more at Target or $2-$3 more in the drugstore. 
 
But in the drugstore you can take advantage of BOGO 50% off sales and rewards.  At Target you can occasionally pair a Target coupon with a Manufacturer's Coupon, mobile coupon or now Cartwheel... So seeing these for $1, it's difficult to pass up these babies.
 
On my oily eyelids, I have found by experience these will crease.  I have to use a primer.  Currently, Urban Decay primer is working out really well.  Before that I used Too Faced Shadow Insurance which works well too when the tube is newer, though after a year, it starts to fail even though you still have 1/2 a tube left...  They also work well under powder shadows, further setting them up and making them budge proof.
 
 
 
Up first, Seashore Frosts
 
 
 
 

 
 
Cool Crush
 



 
Waves of White
 




 
Sandy Shores
 


 
Icy Mint
 




 Blue Paradise
 
 
 
 

 

 
 


And swatches in the same order:
Sandy Shores
Cool Crush
Waves of White
Sandy Shores
Icy Mint
Blue Paradise





They just glisten in the sun!  Each pot has varying degrees of pigmentation.  These are best layered under a dark liner, dark creamy shadow, used in the inner corner or the center of the lid for a pop of shine. 

My only complaint is that Big Lots put a plastic tag on the jars to hang them on the shelf.  When pealing off the hanging tag, it tears off the label.  I'm a bit OCD about nice, neat and clean labels but since I store them upside down to keep them from drying out too quickly, I'll live.  :)


 
I hope you can find these at your local Big Lots.  My store had about 4-5 sets.  Some were kind of haphazardly placed behind other products on the shelf, others were hanging.

Good luck!
 

 


1 comment: