Sunday, January 8, 2012

RareMinerals Purely Nourishing Facial Moisturizer

I bought this product in the spring in a set with the RareMinerals Renew & Reveal Facial Cleanser.  I tried to use the both of them together but I noticed my face was just looking congested.   I put them both aside and finally revisited them in September when we made the "final" move to our new house.  The cleanser was nice, a gentle exfoliater that does brighten the skin without being too harsh.



What ruined the cleanser for me was this moisturizer.  I mistakenly thought that the cleanser wasn't cleaning effectively and causing me to break out.  My skin had all these "bumps" not a typical breakout, just bumpy and not smooth.  I was using this with the Yes to Blueberries Intensive Skin Repair Serum and for the life of me, I was trying to find out which one was causing the pore clogging.  So then the games began!  I would stop using one for a week, stopped using them together, etc, etc...

I did finally narrow it down to this product.  It would take about a week for all the bumps to go away, and as soon as I used it for a couple of days, they would re-appear.  Come to find out, I was probably having a sensitivity reaction this product.  Weird I know because I have never had any issues with Bare Minerals.  But I liked everything about this product aside for the bumpy skin...  It is in pump form, it is light, it absorbs quickly, it has a fresh "spa" like scent...

Never one to waste...  If I have a reaction to a moisturizer on my face, I will use it on myhands, feet, body, you name it!   So that's what I did.  It is great for the hands and body!  No issues there.  I just couldn't use it on my face unfortunately.

This was clearanced out on Drugstore.com.  I got an amazing deal on set, maybe $20 whereas the lotion alone retailed at $32 and the cleanser nearly $40!  I think you can only get this set on Amazon now as it might be discontinued.

My next job is to figure out which on of these ingredients my face does not like!  Should be a fun little task...

Ingredients:
Water(Aqua),DicaprylylCarbonate, Cocoglycerides,Jojob Esters,Behenyl Alcohol, SorbitanStearate,CetylAlcohol,Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride,Glycerin,Soil Minerals, Propanediol, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Lecithin, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryi Acetate, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterols, Linoleic Acid, Phospholipids, Honey, Panthenol, Sucrose Cocoate, Lonicera Japonica (Honeysuckle) Flower Extract,Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Punica Granatum Sterols, Tamarindus Indica Seed Polysaccharide, Trehalose, Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Peel Oil, Sodium Hyaluronate, Acacia Dealbata Flower/Stem Extract, Aspalathus Linearis Leaf Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leal Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matracarla) Flower Extract, Coffea Arabica (Coffee) Seed Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract, SpiraeaUlmarla Extract, Centella Asiatica Leaf Extract, Myrothamnus Flabellilolia Leaf/Stem Extract, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tocopherol, Benzyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, Carbomer, Dehydroacetic Acid, Butylene Glycol, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Xanthan Gum, Cellulose Gum


One of the products on the list was behenyl alcohol which I didn't recognize...  I read labels very frequently so this one stood out.  Behenyl alcohol is also known as docosonol and according to Wikipedia it is a saturated fatty acid used traditionally as an emollient, emulsifier, and thickener in cosmetics.  It is also used in Abreva and yes it can cause mild sensitivity reactions.  Since it is the 5th ingredient, does mean that there is a higher percentage of it in the product, so this may have caused my issues!

Retinyl Palmitate also causes sensitivity but I have had no other issues with retinol in the past other than a little burning around the eyes if I put my eye cream on too soon after cleansing.  This is another chemical my skin might not like. 

RareMinerals Purely Nourishing Facial Moisturizer really has some amazing ingredients, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Retinol, Vitamin C, fruit and flower extracts, my favorite lavender oil, coffee...  I am really disappointed my skin didn't like this!  Unfortunately I won't be repurchasing this particular product in 2012 but it won't deter me from trying their new products.

No comments:

Post a Comment