Friday, March 28, 2014

Physicians Formula Youthful Wear Youth-Boosting Spotless Foundation

Now that is a mouthful!

I'm really into the serum foundations as I have found that they provide great coverage, blur imperfections, do not settle into pores and fine lines and they are great for us with oily complexions!

Physicians Formula is a brand I know well and can trust that most products in their range will be good.  The only product I remember that didn't work for me was their tinted moisturizer that I picked up at Big Lots on the cheap.  It was super full coverage and just the wrong tone for my skin unfortunately.

Physicians Formula Youthful Wear Youth-Boosting Spotless Foundation is a newer drugstore offering currently on the market.  I have found the new Physicians Formula display at Ulta and one of the three CVS stores in my immediate area, albeit the far one...  There is also a concealer to accompany this new serum foundation but I didn't dare pick it up since I already have a drawer full.  It was tempting however as CVS was having a 40% off Physicians Formula sale when I bought this back in January and there were $3 peelies on the packaging.




This week CVS is offering $10 in ECB when you buy 2 PF products.  However, Rite Aid has PF 40% off this week so you might be able to work a nice deal there!

So let's get into the nitty gritty of this newest PF serum foundation incarnation, shall we?

Since it is a serum, it is a thinner formula and has a light feeling on the skin. A dropper and a brush are included to further ease the application.  I love smoothing this on my skin so much that I tend to over-apply it.  After shaking the product thoroughly, I use the dropper to dot it on my forehead, cheeks, chin and a little down my nose and blend in with my finger tips.  The brush accompanying this foundation is a little too small and stiff for my liking.  It would take forever to blend and I don't have that kind of time!

As with the other serum foundations that I have tried, it has a matte but not flat finish after it dries down which it does quickly but you have enough time to work it into the skin.  If you get that perfect color match, it is virtually undetectable on the skin.  That being said, you need to exfoliate and moisturize before using this foundation, as it will stick and accentuate dry patches.  Combination to oily skin will love this, dry skin, not so much unfortunately.

Since I have combination to oily skin, downright oily in the NC summer humidity, I will get shiny and will need to blot and powder a couple of hours after wearing this type of foundation as with all my foundations.  I do not feel the need to set it with powder currently, as it already has a powdery (not super matte) finish to it. 

My only complaint, the color selection.  There are only 3 colors; Light, Medium, and Medium Beige.  Currently, light is too dark for me and probably will be until well into the summer.  This could be a favorite contender if they developed more shades like L'OREAL Magic Nude Liquid Powder which was a favorite for me last summer.



Left:L'OREAL Magic Nude Liquid Powder 316 Nude Beige/Right:PF Youthful Wear Spotless Light

As you can see, L'OREAL offers a better match for my NC 20 (best estimate as I do not own a MAC foundation) skin right now.  Youthful Wear is just a touch thicker in consistency but both are quite runny though pigmented.  Both offer the same medium coverage.  In fact, I wear both.  I use L'OREAL in the center of my face and PF to slightly contour/add dimension to my skin at the top of my forehead and temples and the hollows of my cheeks (to create hollows rather).  It seems to work well but again, the color is not the best match for me. 

I can't wait to try this in the summer when it will hopefully be a good match!  I will of course update you on its ability to last during the summer heat and humidity...

Dear Physicians Formula color developers,

Please come out with a greater shade range for your products. 

Sincerely,

Drugstore makeup lovers everywhere.

Have you tried Physicians Formula Youthful Wear Youth-Boosting Spotless Foundation yet?  What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment